On Saturday, Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal made the announcement that all non-ration cardholders who are living in Delhi would be now able to gather ration at subsidized rates from the national capital’s fair price shops from next week onward.
Kejriwal, while addressing a press conference said that we had already declared that the Delhi government is going to offer 7.5 kg free ration to all the seventy-one lakh people who had a ration card. There are also about 6.5 lakh people who had applied for the card but at the same time did not get it. Therefore, the Delhi government have decided to give these people some benefits where they can get free ration. “Many poor people did not have any ration card. We made a website for such people where they will be registered. After the registration process, we would provide ration to all of them,” he added.
The Chief Minister also stated that the total COVID-19 cases in Delhi were 445 which consist of 59 new cases that have been reported in total 24 hours, but the government at the same time had been able to hold the community spread of coronavirus in the nation’s capital. He also said that the priority of the government was to make sure that the best treatment to the affected as well as preventing community spread of COVID-19.
Kejriwal further added that the government has made arrangement for feeding more than 10,00,00 people in the capital. “I am happy to say that many NGOs along with religious organisations were also helping in distributing food to needy people.” He also requested everyone to make sure that not a single person in Delhi stayed hungry throughout the lockdown period.
On Friday, the government also provided lunch to 6,63,928 people as well as dinner to 6,78,544 people through several hunger relief centres that are located all across the city.
Mr Kejriwal also explained the reason behind the registration and said that the registration procedure was needed for the reason that if the government begin allotting to everyone then there were chances that one person would come more than one time in order to take the ration and then there would be a shortage of food.
“In the last one day about 50,000 people got themselves registered” as well as “I would request other people as well to register shortly and 5kg ration per person would be allocated to all of them,” said Kejriwal.
The nationwide lockdown was imposed from 25th March 2020 and will carry on till April 14. The announcement for the complete lockdown was made by PM Modi through a televised message on March 24, 2020. This extreme and sudden step was taken in order to prevent the spread of coronavirus in the country by also considering the huge population of the nation. As of Sunday, India has witnessed a total number of 3,577 confirmed cases of coronavirus, out of which 275 have been recovered and 83 deaths have been reported in the country, so far.