After a huge success, the most awaited second film in the Avatar franchise i.e., Avatar 2 is all set to release at the end of next year.
Avatar 2 is an upcoming classic science fiction film that is larger-than-life and has been directed, produced, edited, as well as co-written by James Cameron. The movie is produced by 20th Century Studios. It first film in the Avatar franchise was released in the year 2009.
Twelve years after travelling and discovering Pandora as well as joining the Na’vi, Jake Sully has now formed a family with Neytiri as they are travelling across the extensive world of Pandora, where they further meet new allies in the form of the Metkayina free-diving clan that has been led by Tonowari. The whole thing changes when the R.D.A. invade Pandora once again in order to finish what they have started many years back.
Avatar 2 includes many cast members as well as several characters from its previous movie in the franchise i,.e, Avatar.
Some of the major Avatar 2 cast are as follows:
- Sam Worthington playing as Jake Sully
- Zoe Saldana is playing the role of Neytiri
- CCH Pounder playing as Mo’at
- Cliff Curtis will be seen playing Tonowari
- Jamie Flatters playing as Neteyam
- Britain Dalton as Lo’ak
- Kate Winslet is playing the role of Ronal
- Giovanni Ribisi will be seen playing the character named Parker Selfridge
- Joel David Moore playing as Dr. Norm Spellman
- Dileep Rao is playing the role of Dr. Max Patel
- Edie Falco to play the character of General Ardmore
- Michelle Yeoh is playing the role of Dr. Karina Mogue
- Vin Diesel along with CJ Jones have been also cast in the movie but their roles have been not disclosed yet.
The initial shooting for the film began in Manhattan Beach, California on 15th August 2017, which was later followed by principal photography concurrently with Avatar 3 on September 25, 2017, in New Zealand. The performance capture filming was earlier wrapped in November 2018, while the live-action filming on the other hand, started in 2019 (April).
On the other hand, the subsequent adding of three another sequels, along with the necessity to develop new technology just for filming the performance capture scenes underwater– an achievement that never accomplished before– led to noteworthy delays for allowing the crew more time to work specially on the writing, pre-production, as the major part on visual effects.
Now, the film got its release date and it currently planned for a release on 17th December 2021. Along with this film, the other three sequels of the movie are scheduled to be released, correspondingly, in December 2023, December 2025 as well as December 2027.
When Cameron was asked about the delays in the releases of the film and its sequels, he replied, “I wouldn’t call them delays.” He added that it was highly hopeful that they can possibly start quickly until scripts are written. “If there’s no scripts, there’s nothing, right? The scripts itself took four years to complete.”